“…she stopped paying close attention to his words and when at red lights, examined the rain drops spattering on the windshield so intently that she almost stared right through them. Each drop seemed stuck on the glass, until another drop landed on it and they rolled down the window together, ending in a climactic splash.”
Sara: College class of 2012 (English major, Gender and Sexuality Studies minor), looking for work/applying to grad school, writer, clarinetist.
I post and reblog: things I think are pretty, things that intrigue me, things I'm a fan of, and things I care about.
Common themes include: books, writing, movies, more books, cozy beds, breakfasts, Doctor Who, Sherlock, feminist issues, and occasional pieces of my life.
Wallpaper adapted from here.
First, I love Tumblr and want to keep loving it. And yes, it is immediately terrifying to hear that Yahoo (which, from a lot of our perspectives, is a laughably backwards and culturally irrelevant company) is going to own Tumblr. I sympathize.
But there are a number of circumstances in which this will not be a disaster. Let’s think:
WHY TO NOT BE TERRIFIED
- David Karp is being kept on as CEO for at least 4 years. Karp’s policies made Tumblr what it is.
- Tumblr is only as good as we (its creators) are. The idea that the cultural identity and creations we’ve fostered here have become worth a billion dollars is both inspiring and worrisome. But nevertheless, since we hold the value, we hold the power.
- Tumblr is being kept as a separate company. This is what Google did with YouTube and significant changes were very slow to come to YouTube (though they eventually came, and are still coming). My guess is there will be no significant changes to Tumblr for at least 12 months.
- They’re buying it to become more culturally relevant. They know that controlling the platform will reduce or even remove that relevance, so they would be idiots to do it.
WHEN TO ABANDON SHIP
- If Tumblr requires an account somehow linked to Yahoo.
- If David Karp steps down, no matter what the reasons are.
- If you have to pay to reach all of your followers (FACEBOOK!)
- If Yahoo begins censoring legal images and videos.
- If your dashboard becomes three columns by default.
- If more than 10% of the dashboard is taken up by advertising.
ADVICE TO YAHOO! PEOPLE
- Don’t do any of the above things or we will leave and you will own a billion dollar hole in the internet.
- Drop the exclamation point for chrissake…it’s gaudy and grammatically confusing.
Yes, I do wish that Tumblr (being a more interesting kind of company) could have found a more interesting kind of exit for its founders and investors than the old standby of selling to a floundering company trying to revitalize itself. But I think Yahoo and Marissa Mayer are intelligent enough to not totally fuck it up. Here’s hoping.
I wish my name was Zoe so I could introduce myself like this
The first scene of s9 should be a montage of a bunch of angels fucking normal shit up.
maybe they’re the ones on all those infomercials
“When you were confessing back there, what did you say?”
WORDS CAN NOT DESCRIBE HOW AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL THIS IS!
THANK YOU MARK, YOU MADE CROWLEY CRUSH MY HEART INTO SHATTERING PIECES
i am very proud of you for waking up today. you are very brave. existing can be hard sometimes and that is okay. i am proud of you even if all you did today was exist. i am proud of you for existing.
Susannah Wellford Shakow and Jessica N. Grounds of Running Start discussing the importance of women in politics, why it’s important to get young women interested in running for office, and Running Start’s 7th Annual Women to Watch Awards.
So, I almost never remember my dreams, but here’s one from right before I woke up this morning:
So, I was walking into the multi-purpose/lunch room of my elementary school, and walked up behind friend A. She was sitting at one of the long combination table/bench things that fold out of the wall, and as I got there, I realized that B and C (two dudes) were also there. And then I guess we were all just chilling?
Next thing I knew, we were all at some kind of formal dance in my elementary school gym, and friend D (a woman) was also there. I got the feeling that many other friends were also there, but those four were the ones that I specifically recognized/remember. There was some kind of platform stage set up on one side and a young woman was singing and playing a guitar on it, but no one was dancing, we were all just standing around. For some reason, D and I were wearing the same dress, and then I realized that I was wearing my glasses because I’d forgotten to put my contacts in, and then…I woke up.
Doctor & Rose things → [2/8] Handholding