“…she stopped paying close attention to his words and when at red lights, examined the rain drops spattering on the windshield so intently that she almost stared right through them. Each drop seemed stuck on the glass, until another drop landed on it and they rolled down the window together, ending in a climactic splash.”


Sara: English major/Gender and Sexuality Studies minor, working at a nonprofit that gets young women ready for and interested in running for office/maybe soon applying to grad school, writer, clarinetist.

I post and reblog: things I think are pretty, things that intrigue me, things I'm a fan of, and things I care about.

Common themes include: books, writing, movies, more books, cozy beds, breakfasts, Doctor Who, Sherlock, feminist issues, and occasional pieces of my life.






Background:

We have this dining room table and set of four chairs that belonged to one of my great grandmothers on my mom’s side. At some point (definitely before the early eighties), my mom’s mom reupholstered the chairs.

So the upholstery is, at this point, truly falling apart and kind of really dirty. Also, the physical integrity of three of the chairs is severely compromised. The one chair that’s still in ok condition, we use as a desk chair for the computer in our living room. The rest, we put in storage this past Friday, because even though they’re not in great condition, my mom thinks that eventually, someone (and by someone, she almost certainly means future me with my own post-broke-young-person-real-family home) can get them fixed up, and because they mean too much to her in terms of sentimental value.

That one chair for the desk still had the icky upholstery, though. SO I REUPHOLSTERED IT. 

My dad and I went and got these supplies for under $24:

  • foam for cushiness
  • pretty blue fabric
  • a small, cheap hot glue gun (can be reused in the future)
  • hot glue sticks (had plenty left over for future use)
  • tacks* (had plenty left over for future use)

So, here’s the upholstery I removed:

And here’s the finished product:
It took a little while to do, but it was pretty straightforward. So now I know the basics of upholstery. BAM.

*Instructions I found online suggest using staples, but that would have meant buying a special stapler, which by itself cost around $12-13. And which we’d never use again, probably. PLUS, my grandmother’s reupholstering job had lasted for DECADES, and she used tacks. That, plus we already own several hammers equals tacks, not staples.







noctivagant-:

Hey, new day! (by *December Sun)

noctivagant-:

Hey, new day! (by *December Sun)

(via prettybooks)